- Monthly competitions will have 2 sections
- Members can submit a maximum of 3 photos with no more than 2 photos per section
- Entries must be accompanied by an entry form
- Name of photographer and title of photo are to be written on the back of the photo
- If possible, also write ISO, F-stop and shutter speed on the back of the photo
- Mounting of printed images is encouraged but not mandatory
- There are no size limits for printed images but A4 is usual
- There are no size limits for digital images - the higher the resolution and the greater the number of pixels, the better
- Set Subject images must be taken within the past year
- Open images must be taken within the past three years
- A photo which has received any award (apart from Entry points - see next section) may not be entered into another competition
- A photo which has received no awards (apart from Entry points - see next section) on three occasions may not be entered into another competition
Point Scores and Awards
- To encourage club members to submit photos for judging each month, especially the Set Subject competition, all photos entered into the Open and Creative competitions receive at least 1 point, and all photos in the Set Subject competition receive at least 2 points.
- Judges will judge each section separately and award a "Commended" or a "Highly Commended" award to selected photos. The photo judged best of the "Highly Commended" award winners receiving a "Best of Section" award.
- The "Photo of the Month" will be the "Best of Section" in the Set Subject competition.
- In addition to the points received for entry, photos receiving "Commended", "Highly commended" and "Best of Section" awards receive an extra 2 points, 4 points and 6 points respectively, as shown in the table below.
| ||Open||Set Subject|
|Best of Section||7||8|
- Points are accrued for each member's yearly total starting from July and finishing in June, after which there will be an Awards Night where a "Photographer of the Year" trophy will be awarded to the member receiving the highest number of points.
- Of the 11 monthly competitions (we do not meet in January) only each member's top 9 nights scores will count to their yearly award total, so as not to disadvantage members who miss a meeting or two through illness, holidays, conflicting interests etc.
Photo of the Year Competition
- The Photo of the Year (POTY) is judged at the Annual Dinner in July each year
- Each BBCC member may submit up to 3 images
- Every image submitted must have won an award during the previous competition year
- Images that won awards in a Digital competition may be printed and submitted for the POTY
- All guests at the Annual Dinner may vote for the POTY
- Voting for the POTY is done in rounds, with images receiving only a small number of votes eliminated each round
- Rounds of voting continue until one image scores 50% or more of the votes
- In the event of a tie, both images are awarded Photo of the Year
- Set Subject images must relate closely to and clearly reflect the Set Subject
- Open images can be absolutely anything at all
- Monochrome is black and white, sepia, or any single colour (Monochrome was a proposed competition section)
- Creative images are those that have been substantially manipulated using various techniques with the resulting image differing significantly from the original subject matter. Another way of looking at it is "Altered Reality".
From July 2010 until November 2010 we experimented with a Creative section for our competitions - but this was discontinued due to low numbers of entries. It was decided that Creative, like Monochrome, will occasionally be a Set Subject (at the discretion of the committee).